Friday, February 10, 2006

There is Hope

First time? Start here. Read "The Primer" and follow the link at the end. Chronological order makes more sense for the stories.

This is another post that isn't following the theme of the site but there is good reason for it. Cuz last night some shit happened that I have only heard of. Its one of those feel-good tales that never happen to anyone. Its one of those spam e-mail stories that touch you but at the same time you sit there and roll your eyes cuz you know someone was likely fulla shit when they wrote it. It was also one of those things that make you open your eyes and appreciate humanity.

So last night I'm with my daughter. I had a good $40 left on a PF Chang's gift card and I thought it would be nice to take her to a nice dinner, gorge our brains out and get some homework and what not done. Some people think its odd that my daughter and I wreck school work while we are at dinner but during the weekday we really don't have much time to do it anywhere else. I maybe have 3 hours tops with her during the weekdays so we tend to spend about 2 hours at a restaurant or my house studying and reviewing school work and/or homework, then whatever time left doing something a bit more fun like shopping or goofing around or whatever.

Anyway we're up in PFs and we are grubbing down. They have a new szechuan menu that is pretty impressive. My daughter decides to go with her usual on the caveat that I get something from the new menu. Start off with a wonton soup appetizer for both of us, some kung pao shrimp, szechuan asparagus and this new tofu with chicken black bean dish. All of it is good shit.

So lemme kind of set up where we are. Typical restaurants, this being one of them, have the booths on the outside of the restaurant and then the inner portion is table seating. Being that it was pretty busy we had to get a table. This kinda blows cuz we like to sprawl out with her books and what not but whatever, we deal. So during our meal I am doing the usual, checking her answers on her homework and giving her shit when she is obviously slacking. I make her redo answers when its not up to par and she hates me for it but she lovesme for it cuz I make her laugh when I do. So that's the evening in a nutshell between my daughter and me.

We're packing up and getting ready to go. I flag down the waitress, whip out my gift card with my credit card cuz I know we just threw down a good $60-70 which is not typical of me and ask her for the bill. She says, "Your meal has been taken care of."

"What?" I say.

"Your meal has been taken care of and I am not supposed to tell you this."

I am kinda taken back and say, "Well I have to thank whoever it was if this is the case."

A couple things are going through my head. I used to work in the restaurant business as a culinary manager so I am thinking maybe someone in here is just looking out that I used to work with before. I am completely wrong.

The server dips in close to me to whisper, she tells me, "The gentlemen in the booth right next to you insisted he take care of your bill."

I couldn't believe it. I tell my daughter and her eyes light up, likely bcuz I am amazed beyond my imagination. I really don't know what to do or say. So I get my bearings and tell my daughter that we need to thank this man for being so generous. For those that don't know me, I am big on public speaking and I was nervous to do this. So ridiculous. I must tho, so I do.

I go up to the guy and put my hand on his shoulder interrupting a conversation between him and two other women seated at the table with him. They are all in their 60s if not even 70s. Older folks, dressed nicely in post-workday attire. He looks up at me with a huge grin on his face. I lock eyes with him and tell him that what he has done is the most generous thing I have ever had a fellow person do for me with no relation.

All he does is smile. I have my courage surge back in me and begin to embellish the man bcuz there is truly only words that I can do to thank him. I will never see him again so I take advantage of that and make it known that I am truly thankful for his kind gesture.

I turn to the ladies at the table and tell them that they are in the company of a gentleman tonight, fine company indeed. They giggle and look up at me proudly saying nothing more than, "We know."

I extend my hand for the man to shake, he does. I tell him thank you again, he tells me to think nothing of it. My daughter has been standing beside me the whole time and chimes in with a "thank you." Then, it happens.

He grabs the attention of my daughter, locks eyes with her and says, "You have one hell of a father that is doing his best to be there for you. Don't ever forget that and don't ever take it for granted. He is a good man."

I am going to end it right there bcuz the feelings and the smile on my daughter's face will forever be my memory. Sharing it would never communicate it. Just remember my end of the year post and take in the significance of what I said then and now and understand what I was really telling you. Have a great weekend.

5 comments:

Phelps said...

Huh. I would have been ready to fight him over the bill. I've had big arguments with people over who gets to pay for dinner.

Northe said...

Though a properly placed crane beak would have been fun it probably wouldn't have been the best example for my daughter.

Mexigogue said...

I asked my daughter if I could look at her homework this weekend. She showed me this math page with a graph and a curvy line on it. I remembered back to 8th grade and I remember laughing my way through that week and not learning that part. I hand it back and say "That's pretty good."

*unfortunately that's a true story

Northe said...

You make my feet sad.

HMT said...

this goes along way towards my "great things happen at PF Changs" theory.

strong work Fergo.. strong work.