Thursday, January 12, 2006

Name Recognition

First time? Start here. Read "The Primer" and follow the link at the end. Chronological order makes more sense for the stories.

Name recognition. Its not that difficult right? Our fondest animal companions get it. So who of the Angry Time office would find this difficult to grasp? Hopefully the answer is firmly in your head by now. Indeed, Female Boss.

Its all too frustrating to recant in drawn out script so let's just dive right in.

"Hey Northe, is Martin, Marcus?"

"What?" I ask confused.

"Martin, our client. Is he Marcus?"

A small light goes off in my head thinking that maybe she is trying to say a joke. So I kinda chuckle and dismiss what she is saying. Then she comes back at me with the same question.

"So is he?"

"No," I say, "They are two different people."

I mean am I really having this conversation? Do I have to explain to a grown woman how two different people have two names and even tho they may be phonetically similar they are still two different people? Is this real? Am I a fucking paragon of intellect or is this complete insanity? How does one get this far in life without having a grasp of this simple concept? I really don't get it. Oh and it didn't end there. In fact, irony struck, Marcus calls and Female Boss makes sure to give him a dose of complete idiocy.

"Hey Marcus, I'm sorry but are you Martin also?"

I can only imagine the deafening silence on the other end of the line. It lasts for a good five seconds, maybe longer than that. She finally backtracks a bit and tries to make a save.

"I mean, is your email address MTobias@whatever.com?"

She listens, then says, "Oh ok, you're MWilson. Sorry."

So not only does she still have a hard time with name recognition but apparently I am viewed as a complete moron in her book. My answer to her question did not suffice. Basically, she felt that further exploration into this subject was needed to arrive at a final conclusion. Pretty fuckin depressing that I can look at her the same way she looks at me. Its that, or she doesn't have the mental capacity to be that discerning. Chances are the latter is correct based on the former.

1 comment:

Mexigogue said...

Man. This is better than "The Office" because I don't have to deal with the limey accents. Martin is not Marcus though, I must make a note of that.