Monday, October 10, 2005

Introducing Temp Accountant

First time? Start here. Read "The Primer" and follow the link at the end. Chronological order makes more sense for the stories.

Not the funniest story but makes the mind boggle at how, in this country, people can be successful while in other countries the same people would have died from hunger years ago.

Female Boss decided to hire a Temp Accountant from the main accounting office we deal with. She's come in for a couple months now, once or twice a week tops, doing some basic crap. Anyway, two weeks ago on Monday she was supposed to come in. Temp Accountant had some schedule conflicts and told me she wouldn't be able to make it in. Furthermore, she asked me to have Female Boss call her to let her know when would be most convenient to come back into the office to do some more work. I leave Female Boss a detailed message on a message slip AND discuss this with her. Female Boss offers her usual doom and gloom moaning with no action to follow. No phone call to Temp Accountant, nothing.

Last Thursday, Female Boss is having her standard break down about bills stacking up here in the office. Why? Cuz obviously its far too difficult to handle and you need to hire a professional to write checks for you. Yes, this is how it is here. Female Boss hates writing checks and pretty much refuses to do it. In her sorrow, Female Boss puts her head in her hands and lets out a big sigh.

"I guess Temp Accountant is never coming back," she whines.

I then ask, "Oh did you call her back?"

Now you have to have a grasp on the way Female Boss speaks when you ask her questions for the sole purpose of making perfectly clear that she is handling the situation like an idiot. Which was the intent of my question, otherwise I would have nothing to say to her, savvy? She usually gives a healthy suck on her teeth followed by, not just any "No," but the type of "No" that has the exact same condescending undertones that my own question dishes up.

So needless to say there's the answer. Putting my best foot forward, I focus my eyes on my brain stem and refrain from any violence I would like to inflict upon the world. Shockingly.. no not really.. Female Boss still doesn't call to find out what's going on with Temp Accountant.

Now this morning, Female Boss starts bitching again about the bills. I open up Angry Time to write instead of participating in another riveting discourse like last time. So here we sit, about one hour after Female Boss bitched about the bills, stewing in the same bunker busting lunacy as last week. What's Female Boss doing, you ask? She is on the phone chatting it up with her friends and family about the gossip while the bills pile up and I'm pretty sure Temp Accountant believes she no longer has a job here.

My guess is that Temp Accountant will give us a call in the next week or so to see if there is anything she can do for us, long before Female Boss employs a brain cell to call her office and ask when Temp Accountant can come in. Mark my words.

No comments: